· Memoir 1 due on Friday - one and a half to two pages, double spaced
· Writing Conference – make sure you are signed up for a writing conference when Mrs. Smith is available
Discussion on PLN 1:
· Class voted to not take a grade on PLN 1, but still record data for it, and definitely take a grade for PLN 2, but not record data
· Need to apply notes from first PLN to second PLN, make it really good
· Class average for PLN so far is a 2, only one person received a 3
· Section II – doesn’t matter how sentences end, just need to show meaning of the word
· Section III
o Roots – base of a word
o Prefixes – come before a word
o Suffixes – come after a word
§ Use these to help break down a word
o To fill in the blanks of the sentences, use the roots, prefixes, and suffixes to make words
· What does O’Flaherty’s background show? What are the effects of war? What happens to morals during a war?
· Do you think the outcome would have been different if the brothers knew that they were fighting each other? The author is showing how war separates families.
· Afterwards, some turned in annotations.
Discussion of Picture of Che Guevara
· Link to picture: http://bookhaven.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/che-guevara.jpeg
· Che Guevara and Fidel Castro “saved” Cuba from dictatorship of military and brought freedom to lower class through words. After they gained power they “forgot” about the lower class.
· Shows how a person’s words and image can be a motivator for social change, another example is Martin Luther King
· Question brought up: On each side of war everyone thinks that the war is right and will cause everything to get better. Does war really create change? Or is everything still the same?
· People can expose wrongs, but not always correct them
· More than words are necessary to create social change:
o Perseverance, actions, consistency, determination, pictures, and symbols
Discussion of Picture of Rage Against the Machine:
· Link to picture: http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/music/wallpapers/rage-against-the-machine-the-battle-of-los-angeles.jpg
· Symbol of the right fist raised, use symbols to show unity. Where else do we see this?
· Black Panthers verse Martin Luther King – violence verses words
Received Memoir Handouts:
· Links to each handout found on the PowerPoint from today
· Choose one type of memoir to write for Friday, but also circle 5 or 6 you are interested in
· Looked at example of completely finished memoirs
End of Class!